Marie Kondo your devices today!
We all know we need to Marie Kondo our homes and get rid of old clothes and clutter but have you ever thought about cleaning up your computer, phone and other electronic devices?
It’s not surprise that we should take the time to do this every once and awhile. Our devices seem to get bogged down when we have thousands of photos and files.
Then there is the mental clutter that we experience when we can’t find wha we are looking for or are getting distracted by files and photos we don’t need!
We are going to focus mostly on our phones and computers but also additional devices such as cameras, hard drives and tablets.
- Misc items
- Start with going through hard drives, getting rid of files you truly don’t need and organizing the folders that are going to stay
- The reason you should start with your hard drives is because it will be helpful when clearing out and backing up your computer and and phone
- If you don’t have physical hard drives I recommend you have one that acts as a back up even to your Google Drive or cloud based system. Don’t have those either? Then definitely create and account
- If you have a camera then go through that and export photos and organize them then delete them off your SD card so you don’t LOSE them!
- Ok this is a big project!
- If you have iMessenger or a similar application on your computer, get rid of old texts
- Delete unnecessary applications
- I have something called Clean my mac that gets rid of unnecessary files
- Keep your desktop clean and only keep a few files that you need frequent quick access to. If you can keep the rest on something like google drive
- Always get rid of stuff in my trash bins and download folder
- I don’t use iTunes except to store some music for videos and I suspect you are the same. Most people use other application to get music so if you need room on your computer delete all music files
- If you ever made video or audio files check those apps because those files can take up a lot of space
- The applications accessible on your desktop should just be the ones you use often
- Again, computers are tricky so always back up important files in a couple different places
- Organize your apps into folders!
- Only apps you need and use often (Some people do it by colour if they are more visual). I try to keep mine to 6 folders max.
- Clean titles
- Get rid of photos and other files
- Upload to a hard drive or cloud system to keep them safe
- Get rid of duplicates
- I personally do this once a week so that I stay on top of everything especially since I screen shot a lot of stuff for my business and I don’t want anything to get lost in the mix
- Get rid of old texts and emails – get to ZERO
- Clean up your notes or to-do lists
Check out our YouTube channel here for a full tutorial!